This tea rocks! If you had enough of caffeine jitteriness or its addictive tendencies, want to quit adding sugar to your tea or not a big fan of green tea but would love something that has both the power of black tea and the health benefits of green tea then look no further then Yerba Mate. It’s refreshing and energizing and has a nice list of health benefits. Because of its soothing effects, this tea is also utilized in some stress therapy sessions!
“I reached the place of our vibouac by sunset and drinking much mate, soon made up my bed for the night. The wind was very strong and cold, but I never slept more comfortably.” – Charles Darwin, Voyage of the Beagle, 1936
What is Yerba Mate
Yerba Mate is a green leafed shrub, original of subtropical South America. It’s popularity is due not only to it’s exotic taste, but to it’s potent health benefits. It has been the drink of choice of the Guarani Indians in early colonial periods. More on Wikipedia here.
Health Benefits of Yerba Mate Tea
Here are a good bunch of great reasons you should be drinking this tea:
- It’s rich in vitamins, minerals and full of antioxidants – yerba mate offers a higher concentration of polyphenols to pack a punch in the fight against free radicals, check out this talk about folic acid conversion to handle your diet more efficiently.
- Works as an appetite suppressant,
- Due to its thermogenic compounds it helps you burn more fat by elevating your metabolism,
- 100% of the caffeine in a cup of coffee but no side effects like the jitters or yellow teeth stains &
- Promotes cell survival better than red wine or green tea. – Hard science sources
How does it look
Pictures speak louder than words. Here are some of the pictures I took of the tea.
Where to get it?
Yerba Mate is a lot harder to acquire in store due to lower awareness of this great tea. However there are few places online which sell Yerba Mate for basically next to pennies. Amazon as always has a good selection – notice the special Yerba Mate tea gourd for drinking this tea:
Cruz De Malta 1/2 Kilo Yerba Mate
Yerba Mate Rosamonte x 500 g Argentina Green Leaf Tea Loose Herbal Bag 1.1 lb
If you are in Australia, “Natures Green Gold” proudly introduces South America’s secret of well-being and vitality to Australian homes. Visit their website for Australian locations to pickup Yerba Mate: http://www.naturesgreengold.com/. Thanks to Nathan Hesse for sending me this link to help our Australian readers in acquiring this fantastic drink locally.
Timothy Ferriss, an American author and public speaker speaks highly of Yerba Mate and it’s benefits in how it had helped him write his 1st NY Times Best Seller book called The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich.
“2. Biochemically Fine-Tune. I found by accident that my best sessions all followed a specific ratio: 3 cups of yerba mate tea for each glass of wine consumed.” – Tim’s blog
If you would like to learn more about Yerba Mate Tea then I highly recommend you read the links below. There is a wealth of information there. Alternatively send me a message and I will happily respond to your questions.
I love questions, so ask away!
Links mentioned in this post
- Stories submitted by Yerba Mate loyal customers:
- Yerba mate contains 24 vitamins and minerals, 15 amino acids, and 11 polyphenols, a group of phytochemicals which act as powerful antioxidants. Find out more about this here:
- Yerba Mate Cruz de Malta x 500 g Argentina Tea 1.1 lb:
- Natures Green Gold proudly introduces South America’s secret of well-being and vitality to Australian homes:
Stories submitted by Yerba Mate loyal customers:
“I drink Yerba Mate every morning. It is my way of waking up and greeting the day. It gives me an energy that is not a ‘hyped up’ feeling but rather like a natural energy that comes from a healthy lifestyle.”
Nancy Smith, Registered Nurse, Reno, Nevada More…
“When I sit down to paint yerba seems to give me the mental clarity and focus that I need in order to create to my fullest potential.”
Scott Cranmer, Artist, Audubon, New Jersey More…
“When my doctor suggested I give up black tea and coffee a year ago, I switched to drinking Green Tea for the perceived health benefits. However, I found it somewhat unsatisfying as a morning beverage. Luckily, I discovered Yerba Mate and I’ve never looked back. I began ordering my yerba mate from Nativa for their great services and prices (just one-third of what I was paying here in BC). Since switching to yerba mate, I experience none of the jittery side effects of coffee, sleep very well and just generally feel great!”
Jim Sutton, Family Therapist, Vancouver, British Columbia More…