- Hatched in a medieval town called Sandomierz, Poland.
- Moved to Sydney, Australia where I spent most of my life.
- In Sydney attended University ~ Bsc. Computer Science & eMBA at AGSM.
- Fresh out of University I co-founded Purpleblue Pty Ltd in 2003 (early pre tech days) to “deliver online visions”.
- Built a number of online services/products like Greenlight Analytics – way before it’s time and before Google Analytics. Used by corporates like MBF in Australia.
- CTO of Couponstar Ltd; I helped build the business Internationally. Fruits of our labour were realized when Coupons.com acquired us late 2011.
- Moved to Silicon Valley in 2009. I currently live in Mountain View, CA and spend a lot of time in SF at our Medlert office.
- Created GTDfaster iPhone app based on the science of David Allen’s GTD (Getting Things Done).
- Co-Founded Medlert in 2012 ~ to help save lifes and keep your family safe. We have 3 products – Care (mobile PERS), Connect (Uber for Ambulance) and Services (PSAP APIs).
All in all, I enjoy breaking down complex problems and delivering simple and elegant solutions. My continuous thirst for experience is the driver for making a difference.
More on my professional background can be found on my public profile at LinkedIn here: http://www.linkedin.com/in/semerda
My entrepreneurial life in Australia
I never stop. I love tinkering and bringing ideas into reality. Seeing ideas come to life is amazing. The energy, thrill, excitement and daily journey experienced in bringing an idea into life is simply amazing.
It’s true what Don Williams, Jr once said ~
“The road of life twists and turns and no two directions are ever the same. Yet our lessons come from the journey, not the destination.”.
Here is a short list of projects I span up while in Australian before 2009:
- WebAnt Analytics – a quantitative service providing a holistic web analytics and customer metrics solutions that allows you to get inside the mind of your online audience. This also included the famous InSite module which could generate “phantom customers” for automation & monitoring. We used a lot of interesting models I learnt during the course of my MBA studies to provide a unique selling proposition and differentiate ourself from our only competitor on the Australian market (at the time), Red Sheriff. And then came free Google Analytics (Urchin) and the show was over. To read more click here.
- Ramify – a company that provided tools and objective ratings of unit trust funds and Unit Trust Fund Management Companies using both quantitative and qualitative data. It was to be a valuable service to the Unit Trust Funds industry participants including retail and institutional investors, financial planners, agents, banks, Unit Trust Management Companies, regulators, etc. This one took me to Malaysia, presentations to board members of RAM (Rating Agency Malaysia Berhad) and dinners with CEOs of financial banks. To read more click here.
- RockinTheShed – A weekly 2 hour Rock and Alternative radio station show delivering sounds from local and international artists blended with current news and happenings in the Rock and Alternative arena. The show played across 12 radio stations geographically in Australia, New Zealand, Canada and USA. We got to meeting & interview many interesting & famous bands and expand our broadcasting range. My band photography business span off from this venture. To read more click here.
- Musichouse – A music ecosystem compromising of an Electronic Press Kit (EPK) for artists & producers with exclusive access to online & offline (radio) broadcasting channels via RockinTheShed. We developed a number of monetization models to appeal to our target market. RockinTheShed served as an initial hook to get leverage for Musichouse. We had a great team of smart entrepreneurs like Dave Manna (Sydney’s top Music Producer), Artur (RockinTheShed host) and Denis who is today the co-founder of embedster.com (Y Combinator 2010 Alumni). To read more click here.
Finally, I enjoying delving into self experiments in personal development, productivity & inner peace. All my journies are documented in detail on my personal blog here: http://ernestblog.com
I hold 2 degrees. 1st is a Bachelor’s in Computer Science from UWS and 2nd an Executive MBA from Australian Graduate School of Management (AGSM). The computer science degree gave me great insight into the computer world but I wanted to see its real business application. Thus the MBA provided this insight. Currently I am mastering my skills in Public Speaking through a group called MethodSpeaking and Toastmasters.
I live by the motto that it’s never good enough. I know I can be more, have more and experience more. This bigger thinking allows me to climb mountains. Each day cannot go to waste because that day cannot be taken back. All I need to do is live in the presence of the moment (Eckhart_Tolle teachings) and enjoy every opportunity and experience that comes my way. I always ask myself, “what have I learnt today”… and make sure I have an answer else I know it’s time for a change again. Never let a day go by lifeless or meaningless – each day is precious!
The Road to Silicon Valley
Now you know a bit about me. I would love to know a bit about you too.
Please use this blog’s comment fields below to share your experience or just to say hello. All constructive comments are welcomed and I will always take the opportunity to reply to each one.
So let’s get crackin!
Latest posts by Ernest W. Semerda (see all)
- EQ: Emotional Intelligence, 3 Brain Theory & Leadership - December 19, 2013
- TED: 8 Things that Lead to Success by Richard St. John - December 11, 2013
- Yerba Mate Tea – Drink of the Gods - December 1, 2013